Ingredients (makes 12 cakes)
For the pastry For the filling.
225g plain flour 25g butter
110g cold butter, cubed 1tbsp sugar (optional)
pinch of salt small amount of grated nutmeg
1tsp baking powder 100g currants, sultanas or raisins
1 egg, beaten
1) In a bowl sieve in flour, salt and baking powder. Rub in the butter until you have a breadcrumb consistency then add the chilled water 1 tbsp at a time until you have a nice dough. Press dough into a disk, cover in clingfilm and chill in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
2) Melt the butter then stir in the sugar, nutmeg and currants.
3) Roll the dough out until 5mm thick. Cut out a disk approximately 8cm in diameter.
4) Place 1 tbsp of the mixture in the middle of the disk and fold in the edges so the mixture is covered. Flip over so the seal is facing the surface then roll until the currants are beginning to show through the pastry. Place on a lined baking sheet.
5) Once all the pastry has been used, brush the cakes with beaten egg then bake for 10-15 minutes at 200c until golden