6 oz butter or margarine
5 oz castor sugar
8 oz plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 oz glace cherries (washed and dried)
1. Cream the fat and sugar together with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder together, add a little to the creamed mixture.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the rest of the flour and the glace cherries.
4. Put into a greased 8-inch round tin.
5. Bake in a moderate oven (180°C / 350°F Gas Mark 4) for 1¾ hours.